Timber is one of the world’s favourite construction materials. It’s affordable, hardy and stunning, but it does need upkeep from time to time.
Dirt, UV rays, mould and mildew can all damage your exterior timber surfaces. Eventually, these things cause the timber to dry out and deteriorate. This can dramatically shorten the lifespan of outdoor decking, screens and furniture.
Luckily, you can prevent that from happening by applying decking oil at regular intervals!
In this article we’ll go over how to apply decking oil to rejuvenate your outdoor timbers and get your decking ready for summer.
Materials You’ll Need
Applying decking oil is a DIY-friendly project. Oiling your deck can be completed over the course of a weekend. For best results, apply oil on a cool, sunny weekend in Autumn or Spring. Make sure you choose a weekend where the weather is looking clear!
To apply decking oil you will need:
- Stiff broom
- Oil applicator pad
- Wide-bristle paint brush
- Stirring stick
- Rubber gloves
- Exterior wood cleaner
- Exterior wood oil
Some timber cleaning products contain harmful chemicals. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions and use appropriate PPE when handling cleaning products.
How to Apply Decking Oil
Australia’s harsh sun is incredibly tough on outdoor timbers. You’ll need to apply decking oil to decks, furniture, screens and handrails every 12 months or so. Decking oil prevents the wood from drying out and cracking, and it also protects it from the sun, mould, mildew and dirt.
Use the following steps to apply timber decking oil to outdoor timbers:
- Remove furniture and plants. Start by clearing your deck. You’ll need to remove any furniture, plant pots or other objects that sit on top of the timber.
- Sweep any dirt and dust. Grab a stiff broom and sweep up any dirt, dust, leaves or other debris on the surface.
- Apply exterior timber cleaner. The most important preparation step is to clean your deck with an exterior timber cleaner. Timber cleaning products penetrate the surface to remove dirt, mould, mildew, stains and tree sap.
We recommend using a product such as WOCA’s exterior wood cleaner. To apply, soak the deck with a hose immediately before cleaning. Then, mix one part WOCA exterior wood cleaner to two parts water and apply with a stiff broom.
Work along the length of the timber grain, using the broom to scrub the surface. Continue scrubbing until the wood appears clean, and then immediately rinse with a hose. Repeat if the deck still looks dirty.
- Allow your deck to dry. The timber must be completely dry before applying decking oil. Wait 24 hours (or longer, depending on the weather) for the surface to dry.
- Sand any rough spots. If you find that your deck has rough areas after cleaning, sand those spots with 120 grit sandpaper. You will need to hose the deck again to remove any sanding dust.
- Mix your oil. Most timber oils include pigments and additives that settle out of the mixture. Before applying your oil, make sure to stir the mixture thoroughly until it’s all the same colour.
- Apply the first coat. You can now apply the first coat of WOCA exterior wood oil. Begin by using a wide-bristled brush to apply a coat of oil around the edges of the deck. Then, using an exterior oil applicator, apply a thin, even coat of oil on the rest of the boards.
Apply the oil along the length of the timber grain for best results. Use a clean cloth to wipe away any excess oil within 5 minutes of application.
Allow a minimum of 12 hours for the first coat to dry.
- Apply the second coat. Freshly cleaned timber will absorb lots of oil. You will need to apply a second coat to strengthen the protection and improve the finish.
- Allow the oil to cure. Your freshly oiled deck should be allowed to cure for 24 to 48 hours, depending on the outside temperature. It’s important not to get your deck wet while the oil is curing, so make sure you check the weather before you begin the project.
- Replace your furniture. Finally, you can replace the furniture, plants and other decorations that live on your deck, and you’re done!
Get Your Deck Ready for Summer with Decking Oil from Quicksand Supplies!
Australia’s harsh conditions are a real challenge for outdoor timbers. If you want to prolong the life of your decks and outdoor furniture, you’ll need to invest in quality exterior wood oil from Quicksand Supplies.
Quicksand Supplies are experts in the timber flooring industry. We’ve worked on timber sanding and restoration projects of all sizes, so we have firsthand experience in maintaining your outdoor timbers. We stock leading European products that we use ourselves, and we’re proud to say they provide the best results on the market.
Oiling your decks and exterior furniture is a DIY-friendly project! If your outdoor timbers are looking a little tired, you can browse our timber floor cleaner Australia wide range online at any time, or contact us if you need help selecting an exterior wood oil.