Interior Timber Floor Varnish
Timber floors are one of the most beautiful options on the market. Although timber looks fantastic and performs well under foot traffic, it needs protection from dirt, stains and UV rays. Timber floor varnish is the ideal coating for all indoor surfaces. It not only provides protection against dirt and dust, it’s a hard-wearing solution that brings out the natural beauty of timber.
Quicksand Supplies offers a range of floor coating technologies, including varnishes for professional and DIY use. Our selection is backed by decades in the timber flooring industry. We only recommend timber floor cleaner and timber floor varnish products we use ourselves, with our products coming from leading brands like Berger-Seidle..
Our range includes timber floor varnish, anti slip coatings, cleaning products, applicator pads, accessories and much more. That means we can supply everything you need to tackle your next flooring project. You can browse our range online at any time, or talk to us if you need help selecting the right floor varnishes or Timber Floor Maintenance products for your application.
How to Apply Timber Floor Varnish
Timber floor varnish is a hard-wearing finish for all timber species. Varnish can be tricky to apply, but with careful preparation you’ll be able to refinish your floors and have them looking good as new. To apply timber floor varnish you need to:
- Prepare the area to apply interior floor varnish by sweeping and removing any dirt or debris
- Inspect the floorboards for signs of damage, cracks or large gaps that need to be filled
- Use a floor sander to sand the floorboards diagonally across the grain
- Make a second pass with the sander along the grain of the boards
- Use an edging sander around the perimeter of the room
- Sweep and vacuum the sawdust
- Clean the surface by wiping the floorboards with methylated spirits
- Apply the first coat of varnish using a brush, roller or applicator pad – varnish should be applied along the length of the grain
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, allow the first coat of varnish to cure and lightly sand any rough spots in between coats
- Apply two more coats of timber floor varnish and then allow the coating to dry fully before walking on the surface or moving furniture back into the room
Timber floor varnish is usually better left to the professionals. While it’s possible to hire equipment like professional sanders, the process is tricky, and it takes a bit of practice to get it right.
The Benefits of Water-Based Polyurethane
Varnish used to be the industry standard when it came to timber floor coatings. These days, there is a much bigger selection of products on the market, and alternatives such as polyurethane are a great option.
A water-based timber floor varnish offers several advantages that makes it a popular choice. Here are some of the reasons you might choose Berger-Seidle water-based varnishes:
- Environmental friendliness. Water-based varnishes are known for their low volatile organic compound (VOC) content, which means they release fewer harmful fumes during application. This makes them more environmentally friendly than solvent-based varnishes. A water-based interior floor varnish also has a lower odour, making them more pleasant to work with.
- Safety. Water-based varnishes are non-flammable, which reduces the risk of fire hazards during storage and application. They are also generally considered safer to use due to their lower toxicity levels when compared to solvent-based alternatives.
- Quick drying time. A water-based timber floor varnish typically has a faster drying time than solvent-based varnishes. This can be advantageous when you need to complete a timber floor varnish project quickly or minimise downtime.
- Easy cleanup. Water-based interior floor varnish can be easily cleaned up with water and soap, eliminating the need for harsh solvents. This simplifies the cleaning process and reduces the amount of waste generated.
- Versatility. Berger-Seidle offers a wide range of water-based varnishes that are suitable for various surfaces, including wood flooring, furniture, and other interior applications. Their product line includes different finishes, such as matte, satin, and gloss, allowing you to achieve the desired look for your project.
- Durability and protection. Despite being water-based, Berger-Seidle varnishes provide effective protection for wood surfaces. They offer good resistance to scratches, chemicals and wear, helping to prolong the lifespan of the coated surfaces.
- Aesthetics. Berger-Seidle water-based varnishes are formulated to enhance the natural beauty of wood. They provide excellent clarity and transparency, allowing the wood's grain and colour to shine through.
Why Choose Polyurethane Water Based Coatings
Water-based timber floor varnish is a great option for indoor flooring. Additionally, the simplicity of polyurethane timber coatings makes them ideal for DIY projects. Applying timber floor varnish is often tricky, and it’s usually better left to the professionals. But water based coatings like polyurethane are simple to apply, require fewer coats and they don’t affect the natural colour of the timber. Talk to the team at Quicksand Supplies if you’re unsure which type of timber floor varnish product is right for your project. We’re happy to help select the best finishes or Exterior Decking Oil for your application.